Next to the Shiawassee River in Owosso, not far from Curwood Castle, is an old log cabin. This was not the original location of the old historic cabin. It was moved here after it was discovered while demolishing the Comstock House in Owosso. The historical marker on the front of the cabin tells some of its story It reads:
This one-room log cabin, built in 1836, was the first permanent residence in the settlement that became Owosso. It was the home of Judge Elias Comstock and his wife, Lucy Lamson Comstock who were married fifty-nine years when Judge Comstock died in 1886. In this frontier settlement, the cabin was the site of the first church services (Baptist) as well as the first school classes and the place where newly arrived settlers could stay until their cabins were built. Each cabin required the owner to fell forty logs after which the men of the settlement would gather to erect a cabin in one day. Comstock cabin’s original site was south of Main Street near the river. To preserve the cabin from urban development, it was moved to Bentley Park and finally to this site in 1969 as a project of the Daughters of the American Revolution in Owosso with the aid of Alvin Bentley III.
The sign does not tell “the rest of the story” as Paul Harvey would say. After the original log cabin was built, the Comstocks continued to build onto it. Eventually, it was completely framed in by the house they lived in until their deaths in 1886 and 1890. The home sold a few times until the property was purchased in the 1920s for the location of a gas station. When the house was demolished the original log cabin was discovered as part of the home and used as a living room. That is when it was moved to Bently Park.
Find Interesting locations throughout the Mitten State with a Lost In Michigan book Available on Amazon by clicking HERE
I hope you will Subscribe to Lost In Michigan