Michigan has a few train depots with a cone-shaped roof but the most well known one is called “The Witch’s Hat Depot.” It proudly stands in South Lyon. It is no longer used for passengers to ride the rais but is a historical museum. The historical marker next to it reads:
In the late nineteenth century, the community of South Lyon was served by three rail lines operating from the 1871 Pere Marquette depot, which burned in 1908. By the time this one-story Queen Anne depot was erected by the Grand Trunk Western railroad system in 1909, only two lines came to South Lyon. Featuring a rounded front and a conical roof, the wood-frame structure served as a passenger station until 1955. The City of South Lyon acquired the depot in 1975 and in 1976 moved it to this site. In 1981 the station began its service as the Witch’s Hat Depot Museum and community center.