The need for medical facilities in fast-growing Saginaw valley led Father Francis Van der Bom and Dr. Benjamin B. Ross to organize support for a hospital. It opened with the arrival of four Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul on August 22, 1874. The original frame house proved inadequate; in 1875 a new building was begun on this site and the hospital incorporated as St. Mary’s. Its first patients were principally injured lumbermen. The staff devised a health insurance plan of $5 a year to raise funds. Over the years the hospital expanded and modernized to care for more patients as well as to provide an increasing variety of medical and educational facilities. As it moves into its second century St. Mary’s anticipates a future of continued care and service.
The Saginaw Evening News declared the Hoyt Library “a noble institution” and “the pride of all Saginawians” when it opened in 1890. The library was a gift to the people of Saginaw from New York businessman Jesse Hoyt (1815-1882), who had real estate and lumber interests in the Saginaw Valley. Hoyt’s will set aside $100,000 for a public library here. After a national competition among leading architects, the Hoyt Trust chose the Boston architectural firm of Van Brunt and Howe. When the Richardsonain Romanesque style building was completed it exemplified modern library construction. The present building includes a 1921 addition by Edward Tilton of New York and a 1960 addition by Frederick E. Wigen Architects of Saginaw.
In 1896 John Schroeder built this one and one-half story log home for his family on a farm about a mile west of Freehand. His son George resided there until 1968. Exhibiting hand-hewn, notched white pine logs, boarded gables and a wood shingled roof, the cabin was moved to the Hartley Outdoor Education Center in 1978. Equipped with furnishings from the late nineteenth century, the cabin is a pioneer heritage studies site where students can practice pioneer crafts and skills.
In 1889, at the urging of Saginaw Congressman (later governor) Aaron Bliss, the Congress appropriated one hundred thousand dollars for the construction of a new federal building in Saginaw. During the next several years the project stalled as city leaders rejected two different sets of plans drawn by U.S. Treasury Department architects. Congressman William Linton, who represented the Saginaw district from 1893 to 1897, persuaded the government to draft a third design. William Aiken, the newly appointed supervising architect of the Treasury Department, submitted a final plan which was enthusiastically approved by local officials in 1897. On May 11, 1897, Saginaw Postmaster A.G. Wall dug the first spade of dirt during ceremonies celebrating the start of construction. William Linton became Saginaw’s postmaster in 1898.
Inspired by Saginaw’s French heritage, architect William M. Aiken designed this stately “French chateau” to house Saginaw’s post office. Aiken once wrote the the corner towers represented the “defensive feature of frontier life.” The building, which opened on July 4, 1898, was built of Bedford limestone, ornamented with copper and topped with a red slate roof. The interior contains marble quarried in Colorado. In 1930 the post office faced demolition because of the need for a larger structure. Instead, it was extensively enlarged. Saginaw architect Carl Macomber doubled the buildings size yet designed the addition to be compatible with the original structure. In the 1970s the county acquired the post office and rehabilitated it as the Castle Museum. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1987.
if you want to visit the Castle Museum you can find out more at http://www.castlemuseum.org/