The Manistique Water tower and pumping station, a 200,000 gallon capacity water tower, is a 137′ tall Roman Revival-style building primarily faced with red brick with limestone trim, and sits on a concrete foundation. Casement windows near the top of the tower sit beneath a decorative frieze. The domed roof is made of copper. The tower has been designated of outstanding historical and architectural significance to the United States. Built in 1922 at a cost of $62,450. The system constructed was in use until 1954, when a new pumping station was put into operation. The structure was used for offices and as a comfort station until 1973, when the Schoolcraft Historical Society took the building over. It was placed on the state historical register in 1979 and on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981. The water tower site at the west bank of the Manistique River on Deer Street in Manistique,and is also the site of the “Log House” and “Putnam House” museum buildings. The water tower and museum buildings are maintained and operated by the Schoolcraft County Historical Society.
Subscribe to Lost In Michigan